Friday, July 14, 2006

Sketchbook pages 4 & 5...



Soo.. Here's yesterdays sketchbook drawings.. as they appear in my book.. You can probably notice by some of the line work showing through the noses on these that I've taken to drawing my head shapes first.. then adding the features.. Not my normal way of doing it.. I'd usually start with the persons most prominent feature.. then build around it... And I'm usually more slavish to how much they resemble the people I'm drawing... these are more "inspired by" the people as opposed to a straight out caricature.. again.. something i never tended to do that often.

hehe.. funny story.. on the top page there's two bearded guys at the bottom.. well.. I had just started drawing this guy. like literally just a line .. and he looks right up at me.. and stares.. so i draw the rest of it without looking back at him.. drawing what I assumed he looked like... it ended up looking just like me.. only with glasses and different hair.. later I drew the second one.. same guy.. only now he had forgotten about me.. what a difference.. So aparently if I don't get a good look at someone.. I draw myself.. I don't know how freudian that is...

Nathan had good point about posting my sketchbook drawings this way.. he said it's going to take alot of honesty.. and possibly a whole lot of humility to do this.. again.. hopefully i can keep this going.. even through the very off periods.. Have a good weekend!!.

6 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
When I was in Ottawa, there were a lot more people from different country than in my little home town...so one day at the mall I drew side by side an african person, an asian person, and a canadian person. Then I looked at my drawing. What the...!!! They all looked the same D: Then I realised I used ...mmm... stereotypical symbols(?) when drawing people's faces. Maybe more complexed than the almond shape eye that kids draw, but still a short cut I made along the way. I still find it a problem for me especially when I draw fast, so now sometimes I just put my pencil down and observe.

I miss the longer life drawing poses we had in class.

cool drawings! soooo when you don't have models, does that mean that all the characters look like you!?!?

Kristel :D

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Jason C said...

HAHA.. I think you hit it bang on there kristel.. I mean.. take a look at these drawings.. all done pretty fast.. and none with and actually observed eye for instance.. it's weird.. when i actually caricature someone.. i love nailing the eyes.. but with my fast sketches i rely way too much on assumptions and all of my fallback eye shapes..

thankfully.. not al my characters look like me... I hope.... =(

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heya Jason!
As always freakin schweet designs! Great studies! You will have to post your sumo animation when your done (if you can ) looks like fun stuff

til the next round!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Keith Dury said...

Thanks for dropping in!

It's nice to see some of your art as well! You seem to be progressing at a fast rate! all these sketches are tight!!!!

good show!!

I'll be adding you to my links soon!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jason C said...

hahah... ahh Keith.. I think you put progressing when you meant to put regressing.. I constanly feel like I'm falling behind.. forgetting things learned and letting my skils at drawing slide by way of my slack attitude towards drawing.. I dunno.. maybe it's time for a career change..

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Kyle Marshall said...

I like where you are going with the head shapes. There is a good variety here, and that thing called design you keep mentioning has been left out of your artistic ability is starting to shine through on these.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home